A lot of people have dismissed yoga as a form of exercise. Or, let me put it this way – as a legitimate/intense form of exercise. After all, exercise is meant to set the heart racing, have you perspiring heavily, panting for breath, and huffing and puffing for the better part of the hour. But, all you seem to be doing in yoga is breathe deeply and stretch your body into different positions. How can you possibly believe that the so-called yoga exercises for weight loss actually work? While it is true that yoga isn’t as strenuous as most other forms of exercises, there is a definite connection between yoga and weight loss. In fact, those who believe yoga to be a mild form of exercise can get quite a rude shock when they actually get down to doing some of the postures. They are anything but easy. The combination of physical exercises and deep breathing techniques benefit the body in more than one way.
To begin with, yoga comprises of various forms and postures that you need to maintain for a few seconds at least. These postures work the muscles of your body and help tone and strengthen them. And, the more lean muscles you have, the faster your body will burn fat. It also makes use of the body’s core muscles to impart balance and steadiness to the postures. This goes towards further strengthening your body. In addition, yoga increases flexibility and boosts the body’s metabolic rate, helping you melt all that extra fat you’ve accumulated over time.
Make no mistake, yoga exercises for weight loss can be extremely demanding. You may not be hopping all over the place like a jack rabbit, but the postures work on every part of the body, giving you a complete workout that few other forms of exercise can match. If you are still unconvinced try doing some yoga exercises yourself. You’ll soon know what I am talking about. Once you are done, easy will not be the word that jumps to your mind to describe yoga and weight loss.
Moving on, let’s look at the best yoga for weight loss that will deliver results you can measure for yourself. There are virtually hundreds of postures in yoga, but if you are looking to lose weight, these ones would be most beneficial. You can easily enough find instructional videos and tutorials for these poses on the Internet although it’s far more advisable to find an experienced practitioner who can guide you safely through these exercises.
1. Pranayama: Pranayama is the standard breathing exercise in yoga and it has bound to be quite effective for weight loss. This technique employs the muscles of your abdomen and helps burn fat. A more rigorous form of pranayama is kapalabhati, which involves passive inhalation and forceful exhalation of air from the body for the purpose of detoxifying your body.
2. Chakra Padasana: Also known as leg rotation, chakra padasana focuses on burning fat from your belly, thighs, abdominal region, and hips
3. Twisted Chair Pose: Boosts blood circulation through the body and gives you a full body workout
4. Locust Pose: Strengthens lower back and leg muscles, opens up your spinal column and chest, and boosts energy
5. Bow Pose: Boosts energy and increases metabolism, stretches the front part of the body and strengthens back muscles
6. Crescent Lunge Pose: Revs up your heartbeat, speeds up the metabolism, stretches the hips, and strengthens the legs
7. Bridge Pose: This gentle pose massages your thyroid gland, which is responsible for regulating your metabolism